Dating at amherst college
Amherst's hoods are purple (Williams' official color) with a white stripe or chevron, said to signify that Amherst was born of Williams.
Amherst records one of the first uses of Latin honors of any American college, dating back to 1881.
One of the hallmarks of the new college was its Charity Fund, an early form of financial aid that paid the tuition of poorer students.
Although officially non-denominational, the initial Amherst was considered a religiously conservative institution with a strong connection to Calvinism.
In 1835, Amherst attempted to create a course of study parallel to the classical liberal arts education.
This parallel course focused less on Greek and Latin, instead focusing on English, French, Spanish, chemistry, economics, etc.
Those fifteen represented about one-third of the whole number at Amherst, and about one-fifth of the whole number in the three classes to which they belonged in Williams College.
Amherst was founded as a non-sectarian institution "for the classical education of indigent young men of piety and talents for the Christian ministry," (Tyler, A History of Amherst College).
The institution was named after the town, which in turn had been named after Jeffery, Lord Amherst, Commander-in-Chief of British forces of North America during the French and Indian War.
Originally established as a men's college, Amherst became coeducational in 1975. Amherst competes in the New England Small College Athletic Conference.
-ərst) is a private liberal arts college in Amherst, Massachusetts.
Founded in 1821 as an attempt to relocate Williams College by its then-president Zephaniah Swift Moore, Amherst is the third oldest institution of higher education in Massachusetts.